Saturday, January 24, 2009

Sorry, I need to talk to BOMOH first



This CT scan image belongs to a middle-age man who came to the hospital for prolonged fever and multiple lymphnode enlargement. He was found to have generalised lymphadenopathy involving those in the neck, abdomen, inguinals and in the chest. CT-scan diagnosis was Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma stage IV, and the managing physician advised him to have a biopsy of one of the nodes. This was when I came to the picture.

I explained to him that the biopsy will involve making a small incision in the neck or in the inguinal, and taking out a lymphnode for the pathologist to study. All he said was ..."Sorry, I need to talk to my BOMOH first". With that, he discharged himself from the hospital despite many attempts to make him understand what a lymphoma or a cancer means.
I am speechless ! Whoi !

No comments: